Bible Study Syllabus (Hays)
This is the syllabus that the Bible study used in the summer of 2007. We read Richard B. Hays' The Moral Vision of the New Testament. Below is the weekly reading schedule.
- 1 Schedule
- 1.1 June 14
- 1.2 June 21
- 1.3 June 28
- 1.4 July 5
- 1.5 July 12
- 1.6 July 19
- 1.7 July 26
- 1.8 August 2
- 1.9 August 9
- 1.10 August 16
- 1.11 August 23
Introduction and Paul
- Everyone reads the introduction (pp. 1-12)
- Each person picks one of the below to read:
- Paul: The Koinonia of His Suffering (pp. 16-59) or
- Developments in the Pauline Tradition (pp. 60-72)
- Each person chooses one of the following four chapters to present to the rest of the group:
- The Gospel of Mark: Taking Up the Cross (pp. 73-92)
- The Gospel of Matthew: Training for the Kingdom of Heaven (pp. 93-111)
- Luke-Acts: Liberation through the Power of the Spirit (pp. 112-137)
- The Gospel and Epistles of John: Loving One Another (pp. 138-157)
The Historical Jesus and Revelation
- Everyone reads pp. 158-185.
- Excursus: The Role of the Historical Jesus in New Testament Ethics
- Revelation: Resisting the Beast
The Synthetic Task
- Everyone reads pp. 187-205
- All of Part Two, The Synthetic Task: Finding Coherence in the Moral Vision of the New Testament
Introduction to Christian Ethicists, Niebuhr, and Barth
- Everyone reads pp. 207-238.
- How Do Ethicists Use Scripture? Diagnostic Questions
- Niebuhr and Barth sections of Five Representative Hermeneutical Strategies
Yoder and Hauerwas
- Everyone reads pp. 239-265
- Yoder and Hauerwas sections of Five Representative Hermeneutical Strategies
Schussler-Fiorenza and Normative Proposals
- Everyone reads pp. 266-312.
- Schussler-Fiorenza section from Five Representative Hermeneutical Strategies
- How Shall We Use the Texts: Normative Proposals
Test Case: Abortion
- Everyone reads pp. 444-461.
Test Case: Violence in Defense of Justice
- Everyone reads pp. 317-346.
Test Case: Homosexuality
- Everyone reads pp. 379-406.
Test Case: Anti-Judaism and Ethnic Conflict
- Everyone reads pp. 407-443.